POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Superpatch? : Re: Superpatch? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:15:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Superpatch?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 20 Aug 1998 10:29:50
Message: <35dc24ce.0@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 19 Aug 1998 22:07:07 +0300, Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet> wrote:
>Just curious, what happened with the "superpatch" I saw mentioned a lot in
>the near past? Is it postponed until 3.1 is out? Yesterday I downloaded
>poviso and tmpov from Twyst's site, I guess they are the newest versions.
>What about a merge of them both? I am also curious if the light dispersion
>and infinite light patches will be in the "superpatch" some day. Any ideas?

I was doing it, and indeed I have decided to wait until 3.1 is out.  It's
pretty much done for 3.0 except for the documentation, though.  With a few
hours of work I could get it ready to go.  Maybe I will go ahead and do this,
because when 3.1 is released I would rather concentrate my energy on adding
plugin functionality.

Isosurfaces are in the superpatch, as are sphere sweeps and a couple of the
other things that are popular about TMPOV.  Infinite Light and Dispersion
have not been added, for the simple reason that there was never any working
source code for either one.  In particular, Daren Scot Wilson said that he
could never get certain critical parts of the dispersion patch, such as
writing the results to a file, working correctly.  Slope-dependent textures
have also not been added, but only because I haven't found the time.